webmaster Blacks In Government, BIG U.S. Department of Education Chapter © Washington, D.C., Region XI
10 BIG WAYS YOU BENEFIT BIG
1. LEADERSHIP -
2. HELPING OTHERS -
3. FRESH INSIGHT -
4. COMMUNICATIONS -
5. MANAGEMENT -
6. INTERPERSONAL ABILITIES -
7. Program/Special Project Development & Fundraising -
8. AWARENESS -
9. TEAMWORK & TIME – Your teamwork and ability to collaborate with others are highly valued skills sets.
10. ORGANIZATION SKILLS -
10 BIG WAYS BIG BENEFITS YOU
1. DEDICATED TO YOU – BIG is dedicated to you, the African American public servant.
2. ADVOCACY – BIG advocates for you on the EEO process, racial discrimination, affirmative action and workplace issues.
3. SUPPORT GROUP – The ED Chapter has a list of attorneys familiar and experienced in workforce issues and ready to be of service to you.
4. A NETWORKING ORGANIZATION –Become a member and meet people from all levels of different government agencies with job leads.
5. SCHOLARSHIPS – The ED Chapter offers scholarships to college and high school students. We are also provide scholarship information from other BIG chapters as well as the region and other national organizations.
6. BIG KEEPS YOU INFORMED – BIG publishes a weekly listserv, monthly bulletin, quarterly magazine, regional newsletters and frequent email updates.
7. PROFESSIONAL – The ED Chapter provides an agency forum at the National Training Conference on educational innovations in the nation.
8. BIG IS A COMMUNITY RESOURCE FOR YOU -
9. BIG RECOGNIZES YOUR ACHIEVEMENTS -
10. BIG IS A CHANCE (FOR YOU) TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE – Work toward achievable and meaningful objectives with a synergetic and diverse team of co-
Remember the past, or be doomed to repeat it.
I remember 1975 and 76; they were my freshmen and sophomore year in high school. Much has changed since those years of bell-
So, here is what BIG does for real. First, lets start with Professional Development. BIG sponsors the National Training Institute every year. Chapter also works with their agency to develop education, training, and leadership programs for its members. BIG also provides leadership training for its members. Second, BIG advocates for membership training, employment, professional development, dispute resolution. Third, chapters sponsors hat, clothing, school supplies drives. We also have adopt schools, mentor students, and provide scholarships to students as well as sponsor Oratorical and STEM competitions for high school students. Fourth, BIG provides EEO assistance, guidance, and workshop training.
Finally, in answering what can BIG do for me, I ask, this question: What knowledge, skills, and abilities can you share with BIG to assist others in developing professionally and personally? Honestly, what you give to BIG directly corresponds to what you get from BIG. BIG is about the positive advancement of its members both professionally and personally. BIG is about Giving Back. BIG is about understanding If you want change in your life, YOU have to invest in that change. No organization can fulfill your needs if you neither speak up nor step up for yourself. BIG keeps you from standing alone. So, let’s do this.
If you want to go quickly, go alone. If you want to go far, go together.
~ African proverb